Going Outside the Classified Service Workshop
The legal firm of Liebert Cassidy Whitmore will be presenting two workshops hosted by Chabot-Las Positas CCD in Pleasanton. This workshop will be broadcast via CENIC video conferencing system in the Board Room at the District Office.
When, whether and how a college has the right to employ temporary employees instead of regular classified employees continues to perplex and challenge colleges, and the ramifications of making a mistake can be very costly.
This workshop is an introduction to the Education Code provisions governing the hiring of temporary workers outside of the classified service in community college districts.
It will address relevant provisions and legal interpretations with respect to non-academic employment outside of the classified service, including short term employees, substitutes, student workers and professional experts.
By the end of this workshop you will be able to answer the following questions:
- What rights do classified employees have that temporary workers do not?
- Why would a district seek to employ a worker outside of the classified service?
- When may a district employ a short term worker who is not part of the classified service?
- When may a district employ a substitute worker who is not part of the classified service?
- When may a district employ a professional expert who is not part of the classified service?
- Under what circumstances may a district enter into a personal services contract?
- How should the Education Code provisions relating to employment of exempt persons be implemented by districts?
Please register directly through the district HR Department by September 21.
San Mateo, CA 94402
Browse Events at this Location