College of San Mateo defines Information Competency based on the standards from the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC).
Community college students must be information literate learners who can:
- Determine the extent of information needed
- Access the needed information effectively and efficiently
- Evaluate information and its sources critically
- Incorporate selected information into one's knowledge base
- Use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose
- Understand the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information, and access and use information ethically and legally
Effective Fall 2010, students with catalog rights beginning Fall 2010 must satisfy the Information Competency requirement prior to graduation.
The information competency requirement can be satisfied by one of the following options:
CSM Coursework or Exams
- Earning a minimum grade of C or P in one of the following CSM courses: BUSW 530, CIS 110, CRER 129, DGME 100, DGME 102, LIBR 100, LIBR 105, MATH 145 or NURS 242.
- Earning a minimum grade of C in ENGL 100 OR ENGL 105 (only classes completed Fall 2015 or after).
- A passing score of 70% or higher on the CSM Information Competency Proficiency Exam. The exam can only be attempted once.
Courses at Skyline College or Cañada College
- Earning a minimum grade of C or P in LIBR 100 at Cañada College.
- Earning a minimum grade of C or P in LSCI 100 (completed prior to Fall 2011) or ENGL 100 (only classes completed Fall 2011 or after) at Skyline College.
Coursework from outside of San Mateo Community College District
- Earning a minimum grade of C or P in an equivalent course taken outside of the SMCCCD that meets the College of San Mateo Standard for Information Competency. Students who desire to satisfy the requirement using this option must submit an Information Competency Equivalency Petition.
Appointments are scheduled using WebSmart. To schedule an exam appointment login to WebSmart and click SCHEDULE APPOINTMENTS on the Student Services menu.
Specific Exam Dates – Summer 2015
- Monday, June 22, 2015 10:00 AM - 11:15 AM
- Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:00 PM - 2:15 PM
- Wednesday, July 8, 2015 9:00 AM – 10:15 AM
Additional exam dates may be available – check availability by using the appointment system in WebSmart.
Exams are held at the Assessment Center, Building 10-370.How to Prepare
Based on these standards from AACC, several resources are available on the library website to help CSM students prepare for the completing the Information Competency Proficiency Exam. There is an online guide available—Information Competency Requirement.
The online guide provides lots of information including information concerning how to prepare for the exam. One of the most popular ways to prepare is to view the CSM Library Information Competency Video Tutorials. The videos are a helpful review of what information competency is and how that relates to research. You can contact a CSM Librarian for more information.What to Bring to the Exam
- Photo Identification (CSM school ID; high school ID; driver's license; passport)
- Your Student Identification (G Number)
- Placement Testing Scheduling confirmation page
Your results will be available within 10 business days after taking the exam. Results are posted on your WebSmart account under then Placement Test Results, found in the Student Records menu.