Skip to Main Content
Counseling Services

Student Educational Plan (SEP)

An SEP is a suggested educational plan created by a counselor to help you move toward your goals to earn a degree, a certificate and/or transfer to a university to complete a bachelor's degree.

If you are working on any of these goals, you should meet with a counselor to develop your SEP before you register for your first semester. Then, meet with a counselor at least once a semester to review your SEP to have it updated or modified as needed.

The best time to schedule your appointment for your SEP is:

Semester Months
Fall Semester (to plan for Spring) September‑October
Spring Semester (to plan for Summer and Fall) February‑March

Students who have completed lower division coursework at other colleges and universities and wish to apply that coursework to completion of a College of San Mateo certificate, associate degree, or to a California State University General Education Certification, or to an IGETC Certification should have their transcripts officially evaluated. For more information visit the Transcript Evaluation website.