The CSM Library is not hiring student assistants at this time. Please check back for openings in the future.
Student Assistant Job Description Position - CSM Library
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with multiple library patrons simultaneously
- Possess strong organizational and sorting skills
- Ability to move book trucks weighing 50lbs.
- Attentions to detail
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions
- Good verbal communication skills
- Good alpha-numeric skills
- Ability and willingness to interact on a regular basis with students, staff and visitors
- Previous customer service experience is a plus
Duties of a Library Student Assistant
- Shelve books and ensure that they are in the correct shelf location based on the library’s organizational shelving system; correct shelving errors and problems as necessary.
- Process incoming and outgoing library materials, ensuring that they are routed to correct locations.
- Regularly clean and maintain specific areas of the library to ensure that the books, periodicals, furniture, and equipment are arranged neatly and in the proper location.
- Assist library staff in setting up laptops, desk and other equipment in the library classrooms.
- Assist patrons at the Circulation desk with check in, check out, fine payment, etc.
- Check out, check in and shelve reserve materials.
- Answer library patrons’ basic questions and direct them to reference librarians for more specific, detailed or technical information.
- Assist patrons with printing and photocopying, using the digital scanner and other issues.
- Manually check in and process newly-arrived periodicals.
- Collaborate with librarians and library staff in the organization, publicizing and facilitation of Maker Space workshops and events. Assist librarians in leading Maker Space workshops and events intended for students, staff and faculty.
- Operate Maker Space equipment such as 3D printers, laser cutters and soldering irons; maintain supplies and materials; set up and breakdown Maker Space for workshops and events.
- Duties as assigned.
***Training will be provided for all tasks and duties performed.***
The library regularly hires students for part-time employment as student assistants. Students employed at the library not only earn money but also gain valuable work skills and experience. We welcome and encourage all interested students to apply for these positions. Federal Work Study students are especially encouraged to apply. To be eligible for employment, students must be enrolled in at least six units at College of San Mateo. For other student employment opportunities, please visit CSM Career Services.